Sunday, January 01, 2006

My Itinerary

My Itinerary

My itinerary:

16 Dec - Singapore/Nanjing
17 Dec - Nanjing/Wuxi
18 Dec - Wuxi/Suzhou
19 Dec - Suzhou/Hangzhou
20 Dec - Hangzhou/Shaoxing
21 Dec - Shaoxing
22 Dec - Shaoxing/Mt Yandang
23 Dec - Mt Yandang/Xitang
24 Dec - Xitang/Shanghai
25 Dec - Shanghai
26 Dec - Singapore

This is actually a culture and history tour. I can already hear my travelling companion groaning about the nth famous house that I'm visiting. Hey! I'm going to see Mao Zedong's Former Residence, Song Qingling's (of the famous Song sisters) Former Residence among others. I'll be seeing temples and lakes as well.

Actually, this should not be a surprise. There is a cute little couplet that the Chinese recite to describe Singapore tourists to China:

Shang che shui jiao (Get on the bus and sleep)
Xia che niao niao (Get off the bus and pee).

Singaporeans complete the poem by adding another couplet, to describe the pathetic nature of Chinese tourism:

Bu shi kan miao (If we are not seeing temples)
Jiu shi mai yao (Then we are (conned into) buying medicines)

So, this is China in a nutshell. Tibet was the same. But if you look at the developments of the Asian Dragon for the past 5000 years, then you would really see it in a vastly different light.



No comments: